Items like this
started arriving in my mailbox, and after nearly one hundred of these special little somebodies, the lovely and talented Shivanti put together a collage of some of the best envelope pieces, or Envelopieces (coined just a few seconds ago).
I found 32 schools in that collage and turned that into a mens basketball tournament.
For seeding, I looked at each school's W-L record through the games of December 16.
Let's take a look at the left side of the bracket:
* Wichita State grabbed the No. 1 overall seed based on the fact that the Shockers are the only tournament team ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 and were 8-1 so far in 2014.
* Three schools - Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School, Harrison College and Soka University - don't have basketball teams, so Wichita and the other No. 1 seed, Iowa, along with No. 2 seed Clemson, received first-round byes. When asked to comment on his team receiving a first-round bye in this tournament, Iowa coach Fran McCaffery refused to return any of my phone calls. By the way, Fran is a girl's name.
* North Idaho is off to a 12-1 start and as a result was rewarded with a No. 2 seed, though North is a junior college, so there are some skeptics.
First up for the Cardinals is No. 7 seed Trinity Western. Win that, and No. 6 George Fox could be waiting in the round of 16 with the winner taking home the old Rusted Thingy In The Garage.
* No. 3 Toledo vs. No. 6 Maine is the only first-round match up where the combined syllables in the names of teams is less than five, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
And here's the right side of the bracket:
* The other three teams rewarded with No. 1 seeds were TCU, 10-0 so far in 2014, Kansas State and No. 2 seed UNLV. All three received first-round byes against Brown College of Court Reporting, Devry and Hawaii Community College.
* If several upsets occur, No. 5 Montana State and No. 6 Wilmington would meet in the Elite 8 in a game that is already being billed as the game that will be watched while making The Sandwich Of The Century.