Dec 23, 2014
Dec 20, 2014
Dec 19, 2014
Dec 17, 2014
Items like this
started arriving in my mailbox, and after nearly one hundred of these special little somebodies, the lovely and talented Shivanti put together a collage of some of the best envelope pieces, or Envelopieces (coined just a few seconds ago).
I found 32 schools in that collage and turned that into a mens basketball tournament.
For seeding, I looked at each school's W-L record through the games of December 16.
Let's take a look at the left side of the bracket:
* Wichita State grabbed the No. 1 overall seed based on the fact that the Shockers are the only tournament team ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 and were 8-1 so far in 2014.
* Three schools - Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School, Harrison College and Soka University - don't have basketball teams, so Wichita and the other No. 1 seed, Iowa, along with No. 2 seed Clemson, received first-round byes. When asked to comment on his team receiving a first-round bye in this tournament, Iowa coach Fran McCaffery refused to return any of my phone calls. By the way, Fran is a girl's name.
* North Idaho is off to a 12-1 start and as a result was rewarded with a No. 2 seed, though North is a junior college, so there are some skeptics.
First up for the Cardinals is No. 7 seed Trinity Western. Win that, and No. 6 George Fox could be waiting in the round of 16 with the winner taking home the old Rusted Thingy In The Garage.
* No. 3 Toledo vs. No. 6 Maine is the only first-round match up where the combined syllables in the names of teams is less than five, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
And here's the right side of the bracket:
* The other three teams rewarded with No. 1 seeds were TCU, 10-0 so far in 2014, Kansas State and No. 2 seed UNLV. All three received first-round byes against Brown College of Court Reporting, Devry and Hawaii Community College.
* If several upsets occur, No. 5 Montana State and No. 6 Wilmington would meet in the Elite 8 in a game that is already being billed as the game that will be watched while making The Sandwich Of The Century.